3 & 4 Year Old Kindergarten in 2022: FAQ's

20 May 2021

Q: Who is eligible for 3YO Kindergarten?

A: Children who turn three before 30 April in the year they attend are eligible for kindergarten.


Q: Do I have to submit a registration for 3YO Kindergarten?

A: Yes, from 2022 3YO Kindergarten will be made via Central Enrolments in your local government area (LGA). For more information go to https://www.ecms.org.au/2022-3-year-old-enrolments-0


Q: What if a child is attending 3YO kindergarten in 2021, can I reserve a place for them in 2022 to repeat 3YO kindergarten?

A: Places for children wishing to attend 3YO kindergarten in 2022 cannot be reserved. All 3YO registrations will be allocated in line with allocation criteria.


Q: Can children repeat 3YO Kinder in 2022?

A: No, children will progress from 3YO kindergarten to 4YO kindergarten in the following year (families need to submit a 4YO registration). If families or the educators hold concerns a second year of 4YO kindergarten can be considered.


Q: Can a child start 3YO Kinder before they turn three?

A: No, if your child turns three between the start of term and the 30 April, you can accept a place but they will not be able to attend until they turn three. To accept and hold a place until your child turns three you will need to pay the full term fees to secure place.


Q: Who is eligible for free kindergarten for 3YO and 4YO in 2022?

A: Eligibility for free kindergarten in 2022 applies when;

  • A child is identified by a parent, carer, or legal guardian as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
  • A child is identified on their birth certificate as being a multiple birth child (triplets or more).

A child individually holds, or has a parent or guardian who holds on of the following:

  • Commonwealth Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card 
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold or White Card
  • Refugee visa (subclass 200) 
  • In-country Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 201)
  • Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202) 
  • Temporary Humanitarian visa (subclass 786)  
  • Protection visa (subclass 866)
  • Emergency Rescue visa (subclass 203)
  • Woman at risk visa (subclass 204)  
  • Asylum seeker bridging visas A-E  
  • Bridging visa A-E for humanitarian or refugee visa
  • Humanitarian Stay visa (subclass 449)
  • Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)
  • Immicard 

Q: What if my child turns six during a kindergarten year?

A: Any child who turns six during the kindergarten year will be required to have an approved exemption from school form granted from DET.

For more information go to https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/child-care-kindergarten/Pages/kindergarten-school-age.aspx